Author Topic: Eagle Mountain Spiritual Council  (Read 6457 times)

Offline danielle

• I Love YaBB 2!
Eagle Mountain Spiritual Council
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:52:23 pm »
Anyone ever check the legitimacy of this org.? I`m seeing requests for donations since they have been involved in The Longest Walk and i`m kinda leery til i get some info.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Eagle Mountain Spiritual Council
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 01:16:00 am »
http://www.eaglecouncil.org/

"The Founder and Director

Ben Carnes, Choctaw Nation, has had a vision, along with  his ideas on a non-profit to create a traditional based community made up of Native practitioners living a self-sustaining way of life based on a consensus making process.  It is his experience that a strong community can be an example for our children and the future generations in how to live in co-existence with the natural world.

A recipient of the 1987 Oklahoma Human Rights Award and a former National Spokesperson for the  Leonard Peltier Defense Committee.  He served as a board member for the Interfaith Disaster Recovery of Oklahoma Citym which assisted with victims of the Oklahoma City bombing on April 19, 1994 and as a Chaplain at the blast site counseling rescue workers.  he also served as a consultant to the Native American Cultural Committee for the Oklahoma Department of Corrections along with being a spiritual advisor to state and federal prisoners."

Carnes seems like a pretty serious man. You can also find him writing articles like this:
http://censored-news.blogspot.com/2008/01/choctaw-ben-carnes-border-treaties.html

Some of it I don't agree with, like the conspiracy theories.

I suppose it's a question worth asking, could this turn into another Nanish Shontie type scam? I don't see any sign of this so far. For one thing, it's aimed at, by, and for NDNs. No appeals to white Nuagers or having them onboard as advisors.

EDIT: My mistake in saying Carnes was Homegrown over at Indianz. I relied on what I saw on another site, but apparently that's not so. Part of what led to me believing that other site was that Carnes did speak and support the protests against the OK Land Run Centennial. Sorry for any confusion.

Offline danielle

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:57 am »
I got sceptical when reading some of his info. He claims to be a Sun Dance Chief and i don`t know of any woodland Indians let alone Choctaw,who practiced the Sun Dance.

Just these 2 things alone tells me to hold off on donating.

Yea,i`m not feeling that movement.

[Al's note: Allegations removed. No proof was provided, and more importantly no reason was given these allegations have any relevance.]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:57:41 pm by educatedindian »

Offline Kevin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:12:13 pm »
Maybe they can make a go of it, living in co-existance with the natural world. Many have tried, the hippy communes in particular come to mind, but its hard for a good spiritual system to sustain itself when so much depends on the material world and interaction with outsiders and dependence to a certain extent on the outside world who don't suscribe to the same spirituality. Requesting donations is not a good start IMO but I wish them well.

Offline Walks

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:47:54 pm »
Mr Carnes "associate" (myself) has no record of any type of abuse toward anyone nor is there ever been any abandonment issues.

Danielle, when one Plagerises the words from another member of this groups post, in another foreum, it would be the honorable thing to do, to give them credit for their words.

Respectfully
Walks...

Offline danielle

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »
I didn`t expect you to ever admit any wrong doing....Isn`t it you who called me a slut,drug addict and that i`m nuts  because i voiced on your potential abuse,outbursts and violence? I`m not intimidated by you...

Offline danielle

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:03 pm »
Known by me and all the other women you abused. Yes,your type does have potential at all times.  You won`t  change over night. the ones like you who are in denial  never change.

Potential is not the question. Just you trying to be cunning but it don`t work.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:59 am »
This thread is locked until we sort out the claims of these two. Danielle and Walks both will send us proof of what they claim. If Walks has harassed Danielle before, he will be banned. If either can prove what they claim, then the evidence will be here for all to see.

EDITED TO ADD:

The moderators have all looked over the evidence sent by both Danielle and Walks. It's pretty obvious the two of them have long feuded with each other, sometimes making some pretty vicious insults.

What Danielle repeatedly refers to as abuse was actually that long string of insults the two of them and those around them have engaged in.

We not only expect, we INSIST they and any friends of either of them leave that feud out of this forum.

Everything related to that feud has been removed. If you bring in these allegations, be prepared not only to prove them, but also to have a good reason why they have anything to do with researching if someone is a spiritual exploiter or not.

For all Ben Carnes's supporters:

Someone being placed under Research Needed simply means someone asked questions about you, nothing more.

Incidentally, some of the Choctaw apparently do Sun Dance.

Offline Mvskoke.Lady

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
There was no need to even ask about the legitimacy of the Eagle Mountain Spiritual Council here.   IMO this inquiry was based solely on a personal issue between Danielle and Walks.   Putting allegations on a site supposedly dedicated to ferreting out frauds about someone COULD cause others to question leading to a ripple effect.  Things on the net get blown all out of proportion, so yes the damages from making false allegations about someone on a public forum IS harmful.   

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 04:15:18 pm »
You do not have any mythical "right" to demand that no one even ask questions. Period. No one does. Anyone reading this thread can clearly see the good things said about Carnes as well.