Author Topic: Ayahuasca curches  (Read 13344 times)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ayahuasca curches
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:47:45 am »
NAFPS has published a statment from The Beliefs of the Elders, Codes of Ethics for Indigenous Medicine of the Colombian Amazon, UMIYAC, Mocoa, Putamayo, 1999. They say that

"Non-Indigenous people Non-Indigenous people are realizing the importance of our wisdom. Many of them profane our culture and our territories by commercializing yage and other sacred plants; dressing like indigenous people and acting like charlatans. We view with concern a new type of tourism being promoted."

I agree with this of course, but what about Ayahuasca churches like Santo Daime and Unio Do Vegetal? They let almost everyone drink Ayahuasca at there ceremonies, and today it is common that Harnerists and others from the alternative movement attend, but it has been proven that this is not dangerous. Santo Daime is not as old as the Native American Church, but it was founded in 1945, well before any New Agers and Harnerists knew about entheogens. Are there any reasons why their practice is not legitimate?

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by AndreasWinsnes »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Ayahuasca curches
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 07:17:13 pm »
I don't know about Unio, but my understanding of Santo Daime is that it's somewhat like Santeria, a mix of African and Christian beliefs. Just like Santeria and Curanderismo have very different views about seeking converts or charging money for ceremonies. I think our message was pretty clear that we're talking about Native traditions.

Offline Beija-flor

Re: Ayahuasca churches
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 03:36:39 am »
Hello. As a member of the Santo Daime church, I thought I could offer some basic information and background.

The most important difference between the Santo Daime and the Uniao Do Vegetal is that the UDV is a single organization, centralized and hierarchical, whereas the Santo Daime is more a movement than an organization, with countless small lines and autonomous groups. 

Santo Daime incorporates elements of traditional Ayahuasca shamanism, folk Catholicism (which means a very strong emphasis on the Virgin Mary), Spiritism, and Afro-Brazilian Orixa religions – it is very much the product of the folk religions of the rural people of the jungle.  Uniao do Vegetal is more like a mystery school, along the lines of the Rosicrucians, Masons, Hermetics, etc – with successive degrees of initiation into higher and higher levels of the mystery.

The Santo Daime and the Uniao do Vegetal originated in a similar way, but independently.  Both were started by rubber tappers who were sent out to the western Amazon during the Rubber Boom, who were introduced to Ayahuasca by the Indians, and received visions instructing them to start a religion based on the sacrament.
Santo Daime was founded in 1931 by Raimundo Irineu Serra, known as Mestre Irineu, the illiterate grandson of slaves.  After practicing the traditional indigenous dieta (something like a vision quest practiced by indigenous Amazonian people to contact plant spirits) for nine days, Mestre Irineu had a vision of the Queen of the Forest (Amazonian Indians also consider Ayahuasca to be a feminine being who is the "mother of all plants") whom he identified with the Virgin Mary, and who commanded him to start this new religion.

The original church was in a very isolated and remote area of the far western Amazon, near the Peru border.  its original members all either rubber tappers or offspring of rubber tappers and local Indians.  Most never went to school and had no contact with urban civilization. They learned the hymns by memory and transmitted them orally, because very few of them could read or write even their names.  As a result, Santo Daime has a certain innocent quality at its core that I love.  For me, it makes it easier to pray with a childlike open heart.

In the 1970s, the counterculture came to Brazil. Young Brazilian hippies started backpacking around and some of them found the Daime. One of Irineu Serra's main disciples, a canoe-maker named Padrinho Sebastiao, enthusiastically welcomed the hippies.  Sebastiao also embraced the marijuana they brought, calling it Santa Maria, the second sacrament.  This was very controversial and eventually the church split over this issue.

In the late 1970s, Sebastiao led his followers, a mix of jungle-born peasants and urban hippies, to found an eco-spiritual community deep in the jungle.  It is called Ceu do Mapia and still exists today. Sebastiao’s followers also spread his line of Daime (called CEFLU, the Eclectic Center of the Universal Flowing Light) to the cities of Brazil, and from there it has spread to Europe, North America, Australia and Japan. 

Given that this line of Daime has "Eclectic" in its very name (and given that Brazilian culture itself is very eclectic and open to mix-and-match spirituality) it should not be surprising that Daime congregations abroad tend to be open to New Age influences, or Eastern or any other traditions that members may practice.

However, despite its openness, Daime is not very attractive to many New Agers because its ceremonies are very ritualized and strict, and very demanding, both mentally and physically.  Daime ceremonies, or works (as they are called for good reason) can last as long as fourteen hours.  And the Ayahuasca medicine is not a pleasant one.  That is why Ayahuasca never has and never will lend itself to recreational usage -- it is not fun, it is an ordeal, and it demands courage.

Daimistas are strictly forbidden to proselytize, to invite, or even to suggest someone go to a work.  However, where the church is legal, there are no restrictions on cameras or recording equipment.  So videos of Daime works can be found online.  Here is a video showing a group about four hours into a work that will go for ten hours, of continuous singing and continuous dancing of the same repetitive steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc22A4MQ0c

Here is a good video from Brazilian television about Santo Daime, including a TV crew visiting the community of Mapia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFRAUJWo8c

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »
If you've already read Beija-flor's Intro thread, http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3885 please bear with me as I repeat myself here:

Beija-flor, are you still promoting Ayahuasca tourism, and hooking up American tourists with those who are willing sell ceremonies to cultural outsiders? I saw on your forum that there has been discussion of providing "alternatives" to the current model of pay to pray tourism, but it didn't seem to me that anything had been resolved. In recent blog posts you seem to still be providing referrals so complete strangers can buy access to Ayahuasca ceremonies.

Don't you have concerns about how the medicines, ceremonies and cultures of the traditional Indigenous people are being endangered by this appropriation? A number of us here are friends with, and relatives of, traditional NDN spiritual leaders who have met with the traditional Indigenous people in the areas where tourism is devastating their cultures. I'm not sure how you can claim to care about these ways while sending non-Natives down there to misappropriate from the Indigenous people.

Offline Beija-flor

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »
I am sorry, what are you talking about?  What blog posts?  What promotion?  Whom am I sending and where?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:25:29 pm by Defend the Sacred »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:07 pm »
I responded in your intro thread.