Author Topic: Free Cherokee  (Read 12958 times)

Offline PLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Free Cherokee
« on: February 24, 2006, 05:49:17 am »
I did a search on this group here but, I did not look up the uh Chiefs specifically.  This is likely old to alot of you. But I wanted to post the info. for some that may not have seen it.

Lets see,  we have Principal Cheif Desert Wolf in Florida, Chief Aetsila in Maine, Cheif Laughing Otter in Georgia, Chief Spirit Shadow in Ohio, Cheif Red Arrow in Alabama, Chief Greyfix Thunder Crow in Tennessee.

Free Cherokee link:

http://www.freecherokee.org/tribes.htm

Excerpts from:

THE FREE CHEROKEE INDEPENDENT & PROUD
http://www.freecherokee.org/singsalone/proud.htm

By GRANDFATHER SINGS-ALONE
No one makes a dime from any of our work. Our workers are volunteer at the present time. We hope that someday soon we will be able to support a paid publications staff so that we can publish the "New Phoenix" more often and publish other kinds of teaching material. For now, we are totally supported by contributions, by subscriptions to our paper, and by a one time charge for expenses associated with enrollment. Even that is waived if the person cannot afford it. One of the few things forbidden to a Free Cherokee individual or Band is to charge for any sacred ceremony or teaching. We also require that any ceremony which is purported to be traditional, must be demonstrably so.
The Free Cherokees do not create Indians. Most of us already are. There are Non-Indian Free Cherokees as well, but enrollment in our tribe only makes one a Free Cherokee. It does not transform one into a genetic Indian. Since we don't require government money and, are not asking for any other Tribe's benefits, the blood quantum issue for us is moot. It is entirely possible for someone to fraudulently join with us. They could even enroll their pet canary if they wanted to commit fraud. We do not have the money or machinery to protect ourselves from that kind of fraud, and after all, it would be irrelevant. We have a legitimate and sacred mission and purpose which fraud cannot deter.

The Creator has shown me a hoop made up of full bloods and breeds, of traditionals, of reservation Indians, of urban Indians, of assimilated Indians....

Here I thought assimilate was something my stomach did with my food....

HUH?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Free Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:12:05 pm »
I think there is a thread about Duncan "sings alone" somewhere.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 06:23:08 pm »
Some of what he says would be funny if it weren't tragic. "One of the FEW things forbidden..." "Free Cherokees do not create Indians. MOST of us already are."

Look at this photo of the guy. Does he inspire confidence as a leader? Neither do the words of his own website.
http://www.twocanoespress.com/duncan.html
"After intensive training in >>>LAKOTA<<< medicine/spirituality from 1976-83....Sings-Alone is enrolled in the Georgia Tribe of Eastern Cherokee Indians and is the Tribe's Official Story Teller."

And of course he refuses to say who his alleged teachers were. Why a guy in Michigan would be an "official storyteller" for an alleged Georgia tribe is not clear. I doubt he heads down to GA every weekend to speak to the young. I've also never heard of an actual tribe with that as an official office.

The "tribe" by its own admission is a nonprofit corporation.
http://www.georgiatribeofeasterncherokee.com/mission.htm

It's pretty much a heritage group, and not without controversy. Again, a photo says it better than words could.
http://www.indianz.com/News/2004/004987.asp
"Cherokee group approves use of 'warrior' mascot
Tuesday, October 26, 2004
A group calling itself the Georgia Tribe of Eastern Cherokee Indians has approved the use of a Cherokee "warrior" as a mascot.
"Mighty" is the name of the mascot for the White County High School in Georgia. The costume consists of a feather headdress, long braids and a bucskin-looking outfit.
Leaders of the Cherokee Nation say Indian mascots are offensive."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 06:47:25 pm »
"Chief Red Arrow" AKA Sandy Pouncey. Both Nuage and pagan it seems.
http://www.birdclan.org/redarrow.htm
"My name in the mundane world is Sandy Pouncey and I have many personas. I am known by some as Momma, some know me as RedArrow, others know me as SwampWitch, and others know me as The Lady Olivia D'Orleans. On November 21, 2002 and again on December 20, 2003 I was given the honored title of Granny.
By day, Monday through Friday, I live in Auburn, Alabama and work for the College of Agriculture at Auburn University. I am an Information Technologist and I design & maintain several web sites. These are the people call me Sandy Pouncey....
I have this psychic premonition that I may get called Granny Momma..LOLOLOLOL that occurred to me the other day! Granny Momma sounds like a good RedNeck "Title of Royalty" to me...
I am known as SwampWitch! Actually my Daddy called me Marie Laveau....
I practice Native American Shamanism...I call to the Earth Mother, my connection to the sacred feminine. I call to the Sky Father for balance in the dance of life....
I am single (18 years in May), a Web Master, a Shaman, a Teacher, a Chief of the Bird Clan of East Central Alabama a Free Cherokee Tribe, a Vision Quest Guide, I "Pour Water", and I "Carry a Pipe".... I have friends here on the net....These people know me as RedArrow.
Swampy is a very special cyber sister....You are truly a Goddess Woman....I belong to the Red Hat Society of Auburn, Alabama."

"Chief Spirit Shadow"
http://www.freecherokee.org/threespirit/spiritshadow.htm
"I am Chief Spirit Shadow of the The Three Spirit Clan of Free Cherokee. I have not always been known by that name. I was born and raised in the hills of southeast Ohio in the land of the beautiful river....Even as a child I knew there was something different about me....I did not start as a chief or have any idea about becoming one. In Cherokee society, women were leaders and decision-makers. In that tradition, people requested that I assume the role that I have eventually taken....In the past twelve years or more, events have led me to a further exploration of my ancestry and my first participation in Native American ceremony. My husband was the person who helped me to become involved in this direction.
We eventually became part of a Native American clan nearby and for years participated in ceremony. There I became second chief. Further events brought us to the point of branching off on our own and starting our own clan."

What the hell? Why not just "start your own clan"?

"With the help of others, a name was chosen and we petitioned to become a new clan in the Free Cherokee. That was a number of years ago. Today, as always, we are changing and growing. We are learning important lessons. My husband is Peace Chief of the clan and the Free Cherokee....
We have welcomed many into our clan. Some have stayed and some have left."